Your Teen is Attending a Party
Contact the parents of the party host to verify plans and verify that no drugs or alcohol will be permitted. Do not be afraid to communicate your family’s “no use” rules. Offer to help chaperone the party.
- Know where the party is and how to get there. Let your teen know to call you with any change in plans. Ask your teen to call you from the host parent’s home phone or consider obtaining a GPS “app” to monitor location of your teen’s cell phone.
- Check the ending time to make sure it fits with curfew restrictions.
- Be awake when your teen comes home, or have your teen waken you when he/she arrives. Talk to your teen and inquire about the party. Night time is often when teens are most talkative!
- If your teen is staying overnight, plans should be made prior to the party and verified with the other parent. Consider a 'no-sleepover policy' for parties, as this is often how teens keep their alcohol and drug use hidden from their parents.
- Allow your teen to always feel comfortable to call home for a ride or assistance. Establish code words with your teen that indicate their need for your assistance.